Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: We Lost The KING 30 Years Ago....

  1. #1
    Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 7th, 2006
    Posts
    583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    August 16, 1977 was part of a year that saw the debut of STAR WARS, Fleetwood Mac's RUMOUR'S Album and the death of Groucho Marx....

    However that day along with the date of Buddy Holly's death and Woodstock was marked by the shocking and unbelievable news that Elvis Aron Presley was found dead at his Graceland Mansion... [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    elvis presley GI

    I was coming home from the Jersey Shore with my Dad when my Mom met us at the door and told us of the sad news...

    Elvis was always one of my favorites and I'll always remember him as a great entertainer...

    Later that night, the members of KISS ended their concert with a kick *** version of Jailhouse Rock

    Sadly another Southern Rock legacy by the name of Lynyrd Skynyrd would meet with tragedy the following months... [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    Cherie & Co: Where were you when you heard the news about Elvis ?

    <font color="#007FFF" size="1">[ August 13, 2007 11:09 PM: Message edited by: gus danger ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member raintown boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2005
    Posts
    206
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was at Butlin's holiday camp in Ayr, having a holiday romance with a girl called Kerry when I heard the news. I wonder if I would remember that girl's name if I didn't associate that holiday with the death of Elvis. What age was he when he died? I remember at the time thinking he was pretty old, but he was younger than I am now - and I think of myself as being in my prime, hem! hem! - but when you're seventeen you think anyone over the age of twenty-one is old.

  3. #3
    moderator gus danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2001
    Posts
    9,105
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow

    <center>Long Live The King!
    elvis</center>

  4. #4
    moderator gus danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2001
    Posts
    9,105
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow

    I believe Elvis was 42 when he died. Quite young!

    I had never really been much of an Elvis fan. I never "heard" music, until the British invasion and by then Elvis was history, to me.

    On Aug. 16th, 1977 my neighbor knocked on the door and asked me if I'd heard about Elvis.

    That was sort of a turning point for me. I actually made an effort, after that, to listen to his early Rock N Roll records and they really are great!
    I still have all of his early singles but I don't much care for his later stuff or his movies.

    He died way too young, THAT'S for sure!
    Hard to believe it's been 30 years!!!
    Gus

  5. #5
    Inactive Member tim52160's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was working for a farmer and it was hot . He brought me my first real Coors beer!!This was east of the mississippi river which you couldnt get at the store then.Kind of like smokie and the bandit! lol When he brought it ought , he asked me if i'd heard about Elvis. Weird thing is Babe Ruth also died on august 16th. And a classmate i liked also died on august 16th!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    '77 was a fuzzy year for me, I think I was living in Chicago. I remember seeing the funeral on TV, but it never affected me as much as Joplin Or Morrison Or Lennon's death.
    I realized that Elvis was a Rock Icon, But I didn't really listen to his music, so the impact of his death on me was minimal.
    In recent years I have watched & enjoyed his TV specials, The 1969 Comeback & the Alhoha from Hawai.
    I am looking forward to seeing/listening to the "New" Duet of Elvis & Lisa Marie as they perform "In the Ghetto"

  7. #7
    Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 7th, 2006
    Posts
    583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    FROM THAT GREAT AMERICAN CLASSIC THE DEVILS REJECTS[/i]

    devils feature2


    Marty Walker: That g****** f***ing Elvis Presley
    Sheriff John Wydell: What did you say about the King?
    Marty Walker: I said he died three days before Grouch...
    [Wydell grabs Walker]
    Sheriff John Wydell: Son, if you ever say another derogatory word about Elvis Aron Presley in my presence again, I will kick the living s**t out of you

  8. #8
    Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 7th, 2006
    Posts
    583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    And Reflections from two FLEETWOOD MAC Members...

    **** Fleetwood: "I was a real little toddler when I first heard "Hound Dog". I learned to play drums listening to him - beating on tin cans to his records. I'm sure his measurable effect on culture and music was even greater in England than in the States. People there are still really, really fanatical about Elvis. The news came over like a ton of bricks. I was driving back from the mountains and I had the radio on. They were playing an Elvis medley and I thought "great!" and then they came back with the news".

    Lindsey Buckingham: "The fact that he was still doing it all, getting up there and giving out that much energy per show, is amazing. Whether he was overweight or wearing white suits or whatever was superficial compared to the fact that he was still doing it."

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Tard's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2001
    Posts
    2,286
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jeeze, what can you say about a guy who pulls-in $42-million/annually a full 30-years after his death?

    Cash-Cow, perhaps?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member tim52160's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Amazing how so many greats came out of the sun studio and toured together! I wonder what stars came together to make so many super stars at that time and place. Johnny Cash;Elvis ; Jerry Lee Lewis.Roy Orbison.I've always wondered what these people feel like who Become known as Stars or legends Or Icons.Do they know they have or are something special? Or does it come so easy and natural like breathing that they dont even think about it.I cant even carry a tune or know how to breath right to sing. But this little girl, like Tanya Tucker has the natural vibrato and the innate knowledge that she can and wants to sing for a living.See sat. nite chatties, I can think about something other than food ,sex and well i forget the others. They're not important!! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Links to Cherie Currie's Websites:http://www.cheriecurrie.comhttp://www.chainsawchick.com
http://www.therunaways.com
http://www.myspace.com/cheriecurrie
http://www.myspace.com/cheriecurriemusic